For the past week, the screen group—Carly, Ruth, Kayla, Charles, and Sarah—executed final design decisions. First, we cut our different sized sono tubes (diameters: 3” 4” 6” 8” and 12”) into 3” widths. Next, we sanded down the cut circles and prepared them for spray painting. After painting each of the different circle diameters, our smallest circles (3” and 4”) became our connector pieces with computationally determined notches in Rhino that determined proper connections and movement in relation to one another.
We moved into SoA with our cut and spray painted pieces, and began applying shrink wrap to every circle, using spray adhesive to hold it down, and then hitting it with the heat gun. It was very difficult making sure the wrap didn’t break from too much heat. We had to find the perfect balance so that the “drum-heads” weren’t too limp but also not so tight that they snapped.
Finally, like a puzzle, we began attaching the different sized circles together to create the final form whose circles would be representative of different frequency ranges from each of the instruments while also being acoustically sound with the shrink-wrapped “drum-like” heads.
Please see the following post for our progress pictures!